Science has revealed that our habits can reveal a lot about our personalities. There are several weird things that can reveal who we truly are.
We all do things a little differently, but most of us don’t give this a second thought. A habit or preferences is just that, nothing more – right? Well, it’s actually quite surprising what our habits, preferences and the weird things we do reveal about our personalities.
Social scientists have done some interesting studies that show some surprising correlations between specific habits and certain personality types. See what these 7 habits, preferences and other weird things reveal about you.
1. Your selfie style
Your selfie style may reveal how open you are to new experiences. In a new study from the University of Singapore, researchers asked a group of 123 selfie-takers to share their photos and complete a personality questionnaire.
Researchers found that those who pouted their lips into a “duckface” tended to be emotionally unstable. However, conscientious folk tended to conceal the location of their selfie, indicating that they were more private and possible security conscious.
The study also found that those who were highly agreeable held the camera lower. In addition, those who were most open to new experiences often laughed or smiled in their photo.
2. Your coffee preferences
You may be surprised what your coffee preferences might reveal about your personality.
A study published in a journal called ‘Appetite‘ showed that people who prefer bitter/sour foods and drinks are more prone to have psychopathic tendencies. Those who prefer bitter and sour flavors, like black coffee, gin, radishes and beer, are, apparently, more prone to exhibit traits that are more psychopathic in nature. The study found the reverse is true of those who prefer cream and sugar in their coffee. These people tend to be more agreeable and thoughtful of others.
However, before you judge your black coffee loving friends, consider that they might just be health conscious and not actually a psychopath.
3. Your music preferences
A recent study claims that music preferences can be associated with certain character traits. The study was led by Professor Adrian North of the Department of Applied Psychology at the Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh. It found a correlation between prefered music style and personality type.
Here are some of the musical styles and the characteristic traits of their fans:
- OPERA – high self-esteem, gentle, creative.
- CLASSICAL MUSIC – high self-esteem, quiet, introverted, creative.
- JAZZ – high self-esteem, outgoing, calm, creative.
- BLUES & SOUL – high self-esteem, outgoing, calm, gentle, creative.
- REGGAE – high self-esteem, not hard-working, sociable, calm, gentle, creative.
- COUNTRY & WESTERN – hard-working, sociable
- INDIE – low self-esteem, not hard-working, restless, creative.
- BOLLYWOOD – outgoing, restless, creative.
- CHART POP – high self-esteem, hardworking, outgoing, calm, gentle, not creative.
- RAP – high self-esteem, sociable.
- DANCE – sociable, creative.
- ROCK & HEAVY METAL – low self-esteem, not hard-working, introverted, calm, gentle, creative.